Public Works - Stormwater
What is stormwater? Precipitation such as rain, snow, sleet and hail runs off roof tops, sidewalks, streets, parking lots, and yards carrying pollutants with it. Storm drains carry runoff away from developed areas to prevent flooding. The runoff is carried in underground pipes and open ditches and discharges untreated into local streams and rivers. Storm drains in Akron are typically found in curbs and are not connected to the sanitary sewer system or the treatment plant.
Here are some things you can do:
- Keep storm sewer drains clear of leaves, grass clippings, sticks, and litter.
- Repair any leaks and drips from your vehicle.
- Collect and recycle motor oil.
- Clean up spills and don’t wash them into a drain.
- Minimize the use of herbicides and pesticides.
- Do not pour anything into the storm sewer drains.
Areas of Service Include:
Collection System and Drainage
Erosion and Sediment Control